Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Wicked




This book takes the reader through the life of Elphaba who became the Wicked Witch of the West in the beloved Wizard of Oz. All sorts of thoughts went through my mind as I read this. At one time, I remember thinking, "This book is amazing! How the author juxtaposes the familiar wizard of oz with this new story is simply fascinating." Which is true. It is fun to read a new book with somewhat familiar characters. I thought at a different time, "Is the author on drugs when he wrote this?" because some of the novel is very strange and out there. I honestly couldn't even conjure in my mind some of his descriptions because they were so unfamiliar to me. I blushed at times because parts of the story is a bit crass. A few times, unnecessarily so and a few pertinant to the story. So, I guess I just justified the whole "poop in the brownies" analogy. If you're curious about that last statement, I'll let you know about it.

Overall, this book is a political satire. And a sort of discussion on the nature of evil. I'd recommend it. Very original considering it's about a well-known story.

No comments: