Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Jane Austen Book Club



I love Jane Austen. I love book groups. What should happen when these two worlds collide? Not what happened in this book. I was seriously looking forward to reading this. I even bought this book. O.K. . .so it was at a second hand book store but still, that was valuable credit that I'll never get back. I couldn't even finish this book. Part of me feels guilty because it's not fair reviewing a book without completing it but I just couldn't waste anymore time on this. More than halfway through and the recurring lesbianism/sex theme just didn't fit in. Hello! This is a supposed to adhere to Jane Austen ideals! I honestly wasn't expecting Pride and Prejudice or Mansfield Park or even Emma but there wasn't anything I liked about this book. Well, the writing was decent if not a little condescending but the characters were unbelievable and too extreme. The style of switching between the characters in the book club and their discussion of the book was choppy and unsatisfying. I didn't care. Get back to Jane Austen! Were we supposed to recognize the themes of the classic Austen stories in the lives of these pathetic creatures? Probably. I don't think the author succeeded. Time to move on.

No comments: