Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Road


A hard book to like, due to its dark subject matter and vagueness, I liked it nonetheless. It's too well written to hate, even though I'm not a big fan of post apocalyptic stories (Waterworld really didn't do it for me).

Luckily, Cormac McCarthy kept it short. I don't know if I could have tolerated more than its 256 pages without getting seriously creeped out, but the length was sufficient enough to break my heart thinking about bleakness and desolation of the situation, but also for the love a father had for his son.

This is not a book that will leave you feeling all warm and fuzzy for the holidays. Leave it for later, but read it. It'll make you wonder at what lengths you'd go to survive (I'm more of a "go towards the light" person, I think) and even more, it'll make you want to run out and buy a few cases of canned goods.

No comments: