Monday, April 14, 2008

Traveling Mercies


Can you tell what I've been doing? This is the selected book group book and I read it a bit unwillingly. I have about four more books on my nightstand that I would have chosen to read instead, but with book group tomorrow and me on the mend, I wanted to be able to participate.

Parts of this book I hated, parts of it I loved. It is written by Anne Lamott, a dread-lock sporting, liberal, single-mother, recovering drug addict Christian. I think if we were in the same room, she would hate me and I would drive her crazy. We have very little in common life-wise, belief-wise, socially-wise and morally-wise. She seems kind of loud and full of herself and one prone to drama. But in the privacy of her novel, she reveals herself as she is, warts and all, and I find that I like her. I really like her humor and her writing. She is laugh out loud funny at times and her ability to find meaning in the humdrum of her life and translate them into inspirational stories is a gift.


This book reminds me of a well-written blog. If you're into that kind of thing, check this book out.:)

No comments: