Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Twilight


My sister in law, Tara, let me know about this little gem. I had never heard of it but it is a very successful book. New York Times Bestseller. Moreover, it's written by an LDS author. The book has no ties, at all, to our beliefs. It is a love story between a high school girl and a vampire. Not exactly what last week's sunday school lesson was about:)

Still though, it's a good book. Clean. I was very surprised that I liked it as much as I did. First of all, it's young adult fiction. I keep hoping I am too mature for young adult fiction, but I'm not. I loved all the high school drama. Even more surprising, I was totally drawn into the relationship between Edward and Bella. I couldn't believe it. Hello...he's a vampire! Who am I rooting for?

I rooted for the vampire. Even more than I rooted for Bella who wasn't balancing her attraction to Edward with a desire to kill him. Edward is a good guy who controls his urge to kill humans by feasting on wild animals. I know...PETA would be appalled, but it is a moral step up. He is eternally seventeen, because that was when he was bitten and became a vampire (it was humane), but he was born in the early 1900s. Once the author, Meyer, exposed that part of his character, I felt it allowed her to write Edward as the old soul he was. He no longer seemed like a seventeen year old boy, which he kind of did at the beginning of the story. Mentally, he was an adult in my mind.

While the love story is interesting, the story really grabs the reader when it turns into a thriller. Bella is discovered by some other vampires and one in particular decides to track her. Now you have vampires fighting vampires and it's just...exciting.

Fun, fun read. And there's a sequel! Yay!

No comments: