Thursday, April 10, 2008

Never Let Me Go

This book is really best read without any prior knowledge about it. I picked it for this month's book group and we had a pretty good discussion about it. Andrea said it best when she said that while reading the first page, she thought the word "carer" was a misprint and that they meant "career". My favorite thing about this book is the writing. Not the choice of words but the view of the world the writing gives the reader of this story. It is so unfamiliar, so foreign that it takes awhile to figure out what is going on. But the author is in no rush to placate the curious or the impatient (are you a patient reader, Kristen?). He takes his time getting the reader accustomed to this strange girl, Kathy H. and her strange world.

Once I figured out what was going on and started to digest it, ethical questions, moral dilemmas, and the irresistible urge to compare it to real life debates floated around in my thoughts for a good week. I knew this would be a book I wanted to discuss with others and the book group didn't disappoint.

No comments: