Thursday, April 10, 2008

Goodnight Nobody


Funny timing. This book is actually a lot like my last post. The main character is a harried mother of 3 under the age of 4 and feels like she doesn't compare with the mothers in her neighborhood. I've read all of Jennifer Weiners' books and enjoy them. I loved her first book - Good In Bed- but have been mildly disappointed with her last two. This is better than either In Her Shoes or Little Earthquakes. She ventures a bit from her norm by making this a mystery but it still contains all of her large girl humor that I find so appealing.

Well written but a very disappointing ending. Come to think of it, most of her endings are pretty bad. It's as if she sets herself up as a comedic author and then attempts to end each book with this somewhat depressing, unresolved, facts of life conundrum. Um....I think I'll stick to Anita Shrieve if I want to read about messed up, complicated home lives.

I have obviously never met Jennifer Weiner but her protagonist in this book seems familiar. A smart, pretty but larger Jewish woman who always has a fantastic friend to lean on and a situation of unrequited like. Looking at her picture, her name and reading her bio, I'm going to venture a guess that this character isn't much of a stretch. Especially since she uses her in each book. But I really like her protagonist and I'll keep reading what she writes.

Her title comes from the children's story Goodnight Moon. The part that says Goodnight nobody. She feels a bit unfulfilled in the stay-at-home lifestyle and feels like a nobody. A bit whiny but anyone that has ever felt an eensy bit bored, mentally underused, and frustrated with the competition that mommydom can be will identify with parts of her story.

1 comment:

Wendy Hill said...

I'll have to try this one. I read a bit of her first novel (in a bookstore one day), but guess I felt a little bit guilty about carrying around a book with the title "Good in Bed" (and this was when I did a lot of my reading at school during my breaks or when I taught my GED class and nobody showed up). This one sounds right up my alley, though - mom to 3, stressed, a bit unfulfilled with the mothering bit, not sure I measure up, etc. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add it to my long list. If only there were more hours in the day and I required less sleep!