Thursday, April 10, 2008

Everything Must Go


This is a brand new book out by Elizabeth Flock who wrote Me & Emma which is one of the best books I've read. She creates another fantastic character in Henry Powell, a boy who somehow lost himself working in a clothing store in the small town he grew up in. The writing is very circular which creates an uncertainty of the date although the author always begins the chapter with the year as its heading. It's not chronological and eventually, the reader is as lost in time as the character. I really felt like I knew Henry, almost felt like I was Henry by the end. Just fabulously written.

The summer after my freshman year of college, I worked in Radio Shack at the local mall and knew people like Henry. But Henry has a story and even though his life seems like a waste, he has his reasons, had his plans. Lots of foul language which will disturb more genteel readers but I would recommend this book without any other hesitation.

No comments: